This production turned out to be a lot more tedious than I anticipated. We took on this project thinking it would be quick and easy. Me, Luke Roberts and Lucy Singleton were approached by one of our teachers Mino de Francesca, with the opportunity to work with a fostering network to help spread awareness of a demonstration being carried out within england and scotland. The demonstration was for a new technique in understanding other people and yourself called social pedagogy. Danika joined us as we were about ready to get in contact with the Capstone Foster Care.
We got in contact with Caroline de Francesca [Mino’s wife] and arranged a meeting for May 12th. Caroline arrived with Jean Scott. They both were nice and easy to talk to but we soon realised they really know how video production works. Which was ok but they wanted the video to play a popular song which in no way could we have paid the copyright fees or persuade the label to let us use it for free. What we did manage to get out of them was it had to be about the training program head heart and hands, it had to be fun and that in no way could we use foster childrens names or go and film them. It would have been brilliant to get the foster children’s reaction to the changes they’ve picked up from during the social pedagogy training, but I understood the consequences that could have occurred from that.
Pre-production was done in the days leading up to the first shoot on 27th march. Me and luke were used to working on a shared folder on google drive, so we had to get Lucy and Danika who were not used to google drive comfortable with it. Danika forgot her gmail password so decided to work off the folder. I ended up uploading her work to the shared folder whenever I could.
On the only shoot I went on we were driven by Caroline to location at Capstones frome office. We planned to shoot well lit interviews using two portable Arri lights. The space that they wanted the interviews to be shot in was a very small office at the back of the building. I was worried how we were going to fit everything in but we managed to get a decent interview set up. As we were setting up I handed out my version of the questions caroline had made. caroline had wanted to use her questions but I explained that my questions would be easier to answer on camera and create better sound bites but to avoid argument I chose to let the interviewees decide which set of questions they would prefer to answer. The crew for this shoot was me, Luke and Lucy. from past experiences I had learnt that three was the best number for a small crew. I was the Director, the interviewer and camera operator for camera one. I had brought along an external monitor so I could glance down at the screen to see if the shot was still good. Even though I was thinking of many things at once I tried to maintain focus or at least the illusion of focus by keeping eye contact as much as I could to the interviewees.
I was creatively drained from my short film and the first edit was very lazy. But when caroline came to observe the edit she persuaded me to look for some better footage with her. So we did and I came out with a new rough outline for the edit. After I saw the potential of the video, I gained some enthusiasm for the film and put more of an effort into it. Caroline came to see the new edit we sat down and talked as we tweaked the video along with Lucy throwing in some ideas. Some how with those sessions we turned the uninspired first cut into a professional social action video.
Looking back we had a great start and brilliant finish, but in the middle of the production I could of put way more effort into the production instead of throwing my all into a short film that was doomed from the start. The final product was not how we first imagined but covered everything we had planned for and blew us away with the quality that we ended up with.